Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Doubts

I have a doubt.

In India, people don’t have questions, they have doubts. For instance, in class, a student will say “Miss, I have a doubt about this problem.” And today, I find this phrase much more apropos than what we would say. Question just doesn’t cut it.
You see, I am enjoying the fellowship, I really am. But the other day it dawned on me that I am lacking a bit of the passion in what I do. It is hard to see the impact you are making and while personally I am learning a lot, I am not feeling much like a change agent. Instead, I feel like many people in development must—like a well-intentioned foreigner who really is only scratching the surface of the world’s poverty, economic inequality, and quality of life problems. So what to do?

And then of course there is the doubt about the future. The all-encompassing question of “what are you going to be when you grow up?” I thought I had this figured out. For all intents and purposes I was going to be the next Muhammad Yunus in microfinance or Jeffrey Sachs in academia, both working to bridge the poverty gap. But now I don’t know how to get to that path. And I question if that is even a path or just a combination of luck, happenstance and some foresight on their parts.

So yes, for the next several months I will be working to rediscover that passion. I know it’s there, I just feel like the noise and craziness of life here has coated it over with a bit of dust. So the real doubt becomes, what do I make of my life from here? It is not too early to be asking this question and as the days seem to slip by without me even realizing it, I am beginning to think now is the time to start deciding. I mean, do I stay in India next year and possible help to manage the IDEX program at a city here? Is this where I can see the true impact of what we’re doing and help to sustain and continue it? Or do I stay here and try to work for an NGO or social enterprise to be as hands on as possible, even if the income I make is less than ideal?

Yet staying in India doesn’t mean things will stay the same. The people that are the most important to me here are all leaving for various locations and life paths. And my friends and family back home will be beyond disappointed in not having me around for another year. Despite my homesickness, especially with the upcoming holidays, going home long term seems too soon. If I go home, I know I will not be able to find something that makes me feel like the change practitioner I want to be, assuming I find any job at all. Only so much can be done from sitting behind a cubicle, even if it is a cubicle at a hard-working organization. And I haven’t even breached on the subject of what to do about graduate school.

The thing about living and working here is it is hard. Harder than anything I will probably ever experience. In order to make it here, I get so caught up in the day to day that I forget to take a step back and look at the whole picture. I need to do this more. So now, it remains to be seen where this fellowship and the future will take me but I just hope I find my calling sooner rather than later. Thanks for lending me an ear and for putting up with an introspective blog that probably bores you. I’m open for suggestions/ life advice/ job offers if you feel so inclined. I promise next time there will be some more fun to be read about.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny,

    It sounds to me like you are almost trying to think "too big" and you, like me, need to see progress in what you are doing. I suggest thinking a little smaller in what you want to make a change in. Have you made a difference in ONE person's life? Even if you may not have with your job yet, think about a little longer time span. Once you can feel better about ONE person, then you will notice a few more.

    Last year I was struggling with nearly the same thing until the very end of the year. I was frustrated that I wasn't perfect at teaching, hard for a perfectionist, and was really getting down on myself for seeing how much students learned from other teachers versus how much they learned from me. The very last day of school I had ONE student write me a thank you note. She thanked me for exciting her about science. Not for what I had originally intended, for teaching her about evolution and microbiology, but for excitement. She saw my enthusiasm and it rubbed off on her. That meant I had won! I changed her life, though it wasn't quite with what I had intended. I think about here any time I start really getting down about teaching.

    Find your Idaiana.

    If you can't find one where you're at, I can suggest teaching ;-).


    Relax, give it a little more time!
    And yes.. there are people here that want you closer to home :)

    Good luck and take care,
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete