Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Better Burkha

So when I say "burkha," you all must picture the long black robe-like garment and hijab head covering some women wear which is ubiquitous with much of the Islamic world. And I assume (and excuse me if I'm wrong) that most of you think of it as being an oppressive garment which husbands or fathers force their wives and daughters to wear. Now what would you say if I told you that a young,educated, modern 23 year old American woman living and working in Hyderabad went out one day and bought a burkha and now happily wears it around to run errands and go to work?

Growing up in America and especially after 9/11, the idea of donning a burkha never would have crossed my mind. In fact, I was taught that much more than a garment, it was a symbol of oppression and that any woman wearing it was a victim of her culture. Of course, as I grew up and attended some more liberal-thinking schools, I began to realize that some women do choose to wear the burkha of their own accord and for various reasons. But still, it would never be for me. That was for those other women, who call God by the name of Allah and who are still considered subordinate to men in many ways.

But now listen to this story. Said young American woman works in a majority Muslim school in a majority Muslim area of the city where most women do wear burkhas. She is used to getting stares by men and women alike in the neighborhood but that still doesn't mean it is any less annoying. One day, this girl was in an autorickshaw with her friends, in the early evening, in the "western" area of Hyderabad, going out to dinner. So these girls were dressed up a bit, in jeans and nice t-shirts. Two Indian men on a motorcycle were alternately following alongside of the auto and behind it, hassling the girls a little. Then one of the men reached into the auto and grabbed this woman before speeding off. That was enough for her. The next day on her way home from school she bought the cheapest burkha she could find which just so happened to be blinged out a bit. And she saw the city from a new side.

The first thing she noticed was that it was really hot under there. Although the fabric was light, the black color didn't exactly deflect the sunlight. Also, her peripheral vision had all but disappeared with the head covering. Yet at the same time, no one stared at her and in fact, for the first time since coming to India, she was basically ignored. Luckily she has brown eyes and so is indistinguishable as a foreigner. She also got auto drivers to agree to take her anywhere in the city at the price of a meter which doesn't usually happen to any of us. And most importantly she felt more secure and comfortable throughout the day and even at night where she could travel alone well past the time when most of us can. She's even received numerous compliments from Indians, both Muslim and non-Muslim, for her new covering.

So, before you judge, consider. Unfortunately, I know that most of you, dear readers, are worldly and well aware of the complexity of the issue surrounding such a simple garment. The people who really should read this won't. In my friend's case (and no I wasn't talking about me), wearing the burkha is definitely a personal choice and one that has made her life easier and more comfortable. Exactly the opposite of what most of us would expect. If it wasn't for my low heat tolerance I definitely would have worn the burkha by now and it's still on my to-do-before-I-leave-India list. With that I leave you with a hope, a hope that we just start treating the burkha as what it is - an item of clothing. This is not to say there are not instances where it is misused as a tool for oppression and I do think a woman should have a choice if she wears it or not. But let's not demonize those who do. Who knows, she may even be someone you know.

1 comment:

  1. I dare you to wear a burkha on your return flight to the US. We'll visit you in Guantanamo...

    ReplyDelete